As the IceDogs continue to forge ahead in an unpredictable year, a sense of normalcy returns with one of the most important weekends in the OHL calendar. Through 2021 OHL Priority Selection, presented by Real Canadian Superstore, GM Burke and his staff will continue building a championship calibre team, to return to the OHL Final.
The Niagara IceDogs’ OHL Draft weekend is presented by Niagara Outdoor Landscaping.
The OHL Draft, taking on a new format this year, will be split between two days. Rounds one-three will take place on Friday, June 4th, beginning at 7:00 pm followed by Rounds four-fifteen on Saturday, June 5th, beginning at 9:00 am.
In accordance with all provincial and Niagara Public Health guidelines, this will be the IceDogs second completely online draft. The unique approach to drafting will have GM Burke, Assistant GM Brandon Currie, and the IceDogs scouting staff meeting online, as opposed to collectively in a draft room in the Meridian Centre, to ensure the health and safety of all.
The IceDogs currently have 16 picks to make in this weekend’s draft, the first of which is 22nd overall.
By the numbers
- The IceDogs have never selected 22nd or 23rd, the earliest second-round pick in team history was 21st when Brook Hiddink was selected (2012)
- Joel Wigle was the team’s last 39th overall selection (2010)
- For the second consecutive year, the team will be picking 45th overall. In 2020, Dylan Roobroeck was selected
- Ben Hughes was the team’s most recent 65th overall selection (2012)
- The last time the team selected 65th overall, Christian Sbaraglia was selected
- The team has held the 112nd overall pick three times, Mikael Bissonnette (2018), Liam Ham (2015), William Lovatsis (2009)
- The team has held the 185th overall selection once in its history, selecting Mason Howard (2017)
||22 (from Kitchener)
||23 (from London)
||39 (from Erie, Sudbury)
||45 (from Peterborough)
||85 (from Peterborough)
||112 (from Owen Sound)
||212 (from Sarnia)
Stay up to date on Draft Weekend
Fans are welcome to watch the first three rounds of the OHL Draft on the Ontario Hockey League’s Youtube Channel
Additionally, fans can follow our official Priority Selection page, or on social Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for all updates, along with following the full action around the league here.